Friday, March 23, 2012

Wake Em' Up Breakfast Casserol

This is seriously the best breakfast casserole I've ever had.  I have made it several times and it is always a favorite :)


Serves 10-12


Ingredients

  • 1 lb sausage or bacon (healthier I use fat-free sausage or turkey sausage)
  • 8 eggs (for healthier I use 4 eggs and 8 egg whites)
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder or 1 tsp prepared mustard
  • 1 green pepper diced ( I usually saute it before adding it to casserole because my husband doesn't like crunchy veggies in his food)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 1/2 c. small curd cottage cheese ( I sometimes substitute low-fat large curd and don't notice a big difference)
  • 1 c. shredded swiss cheese ( you can use two cups of whatever cheese you have on hand, I usually use 2 cups of the mexican blend)
  • 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 c. frozen hash browns
  • 1/2 c. of your favorite veggie (ie. broccoli, onions, zuchini, ect.  I usually add sauted onions, and canned green chilies)
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. brown sausage or bacon in a skillet until cooked completely.
  3. saute onion and green pepper in skillet using rendered fat from sausage or bacon.
  4. in a large bowl combine eggs, mustard, salt, pepper, and cottage cheese.  Mix until eggs are slightly beaten.
  5. Add hash-browns and cheese. Mix well, then add green pepper, onion, green chilies, and meat.  
  6. After everything is mixed, pour into a greased casserole dish.  Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until center is set and edges are browned.
  7. Let sit 10 minutes, then cut and enjoy. 
*I'll usually prepare this the night before and put it in the fridge, then pull it out and cook it at 350 for an hour.

1 comment: